Thursday, May 16, 2013

New Post has been published on...





New Post has been published on http://www.hottytoddy.com/national-historic-places-landmarks-2/



NATIONAL HISTORIC PLACES & LANDMARKS



Photo courtesy of the St. Peter's Episcopal Church Facebook page


Photo courtesy of the St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Facebook page



It was during Frederick A.P. Barnard’s tenure as rector that St. Peter’s Episcopal Church building, chancel and nave were erected. The lot was purchased on November 19, 1855, for $600 from Philip A. and Mary D. Yancey. The structure, built by William Turner, was completed in 1860, and the first sermon preached in the church was given by Barnard on Easter Sunday, April 8, 1860. This beautiful church is the oldest religious structure in Oxford, having survived the burning of the town during the Civil War. St. Peters was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975.


“My family are still members of St. Peter’s. I was asked when I was younger to ring the bell during the hostage crisis in Iran. They knew of our connection. So every Saturday I would ring. At first I would ring with the number of days but then that got really long. Then I rang for each hostage.”

–Katie Brandon Coward


“Our Family Church for decades and generations. Whenever I’m there I’m overcome by the memories, comfort, solitude, serenity and the peace of mind that I’m Home.”

–Rusty Faulkner







via Tumblr http://hottytoddynews.tumblr.com/post/50590378740

No comments:

Post a Comment